Wednesday, January 3

Stash Enhancement for the Allergy-impaired

Being allergic to animal hair yarns takes away a lot of the nice luxury yarns, especially the nicely priced baby alpaca that I've been drooling over at Elann. I'm not really found of acrylics because the plasticy sound it makes when rubbing against itself makes me cringe. There are some lovely acrylic and synthetics out there, for example Lang Yarn's Cora is so buttery soft and I really like Red Heart's Soft Touch acrylic yarn. So that leaves me with fewer yarn options, I have found some "natural" yarns that I can use.

One of my favourites is silk, it can get expensive though; however it is a fantastic luxury yarn for those with allergies. My bejeweled scarf is being made from mulberry silk. I also have a beautiful ball of Como Seta from Ram Yarns that was giving to me by my awesome LJ secret pal, Smacked Knitless. Since I've been oogling Stephanie Jepel's Simple Knitted Bodice before I could knit, which isn't that long but hey I couldn't crochet it so I learned to knit I decided that since I have some money to spend I'd give it a go! I purchased Kpixie.com's kit in Olive and it's Tilla Thomas silk yarns so I can actually knit it and use it. This makes me very happy! I think since I'm still a very new knitter I'm going to work on a few easy sweater projects before I tackle this because the yarn is very pricey.

There are some others that I've been wanting to try like soysilk and bamboo yarns. I have some that will be coming soon to my stash once my postman brings them to me are SWTC's Oasis in Chocolate and Harvest Green and Phoenix in Perplexed, which are their soysilk yarns in sportweight and worsted weight. I want to try out their 100% bamboo yarn as well; however due to the mass amounts of stash enhancing I have done in the last week I'll have to wait!